
I have been formulating this post in my head for awhile now but I just can't seem to pull my thoughts all together. I finally just decided I would take the plunge and write.
A few months ago we turned off the TV at our house. We can still watch videos and once in awhile we play the Wii video game system but no more TV. The most common responses I get when I tell people we have no television connection are "what" or "why" or "I couldn't live without my TV!" I have varied in my responses back depending on who I was talking to. So I finally decided I would post it on here and when people ask I will direct them to my blog! Okay, I am kidding about the blog but I do want to get it down and answer the big question.....WHY???
Out of obedience to the Lord!
There you go! That is the #1 reason we turned off the television in our home. Through lots of prayer and bible studying the Lord led both Mike and I to come to the conclusion that the TV needed to go off. We didn't have a big TV problem in our home. I mean we had our shows that we liked to watch and Caleb loved his PBS but it wasn't because we felt we were watching too much television. We felt that the Lord was asking us to do something (that I felt was out of my comfort zone) and so bam we did it!
So how have the last few months gone without any television you ask? GREAT! I am not saying that there are things about TV that I don't miss. Of course I have missed it when I am not feeling well and just want to lay on the couch and relax. I missed it when I wanted to know more about the swine flu on the news. I really really miss my weather channel. I am somewhat of a weather nut and using weather.com on the internet just doesn't do it for me. But honestly I freaked out when we first turned it off and now I hardly notice the loss. Walking in obedience to God is so awesome!
So the next question I always get is, "did you turn it off forever?" We do not have any certain amount of time set. It may be next month that we turn it back on and it may be never (or any amount of time in between). Mike and I are continuing to seek the Lord and let Him decide when/if to turn it back on. We do know that we are so glad all the the outside "junk" is not finding its way into our house and the minds of our children through the television. We have more family time, blogging time (that one was for me!), reading time, play time, etc. and we really don't know how we ever had the time to fit in television shows in the first place!
So we continue on seeking out the Lords will and walking in obedience to God.
A few months ago we turned off the TV at our house. We can still watch videos and once in awhile we play the Wii video game system but no more TV. The most common responses I get when I tell people we have no television connection are "what" or "why" or "I couldn't live without my TV!" I have varied in my responses back depending on who I was talking to. So I finally decided I would post it on here and when people ask I will direct them to my blog! Okay, I am kidding about the blog but I do want to get it down and answer the big question.....WHY???
Out of obedience to the Lord!
There you go! That is the #1 reason we turned off the television in our home. Through lots of prayer and bible studying the Lord led both Mike and I to come to the conclusion that the TV needed to go off. We didn't have a big TV problem in our home. I mean we had our shows that we liked to watch and Caleb loved his PBS but it wasn't because we felt we were watching too much television. We felt that the Lord was asking us to do something (that I felt was out of my comfort zone) and so bam we did it!
So how have the last few months gone without any television you ask? GREAT! I am not saying that there are things about TV that I don't miss. Of course I have missed it when I am not feeling well and just want to lay on the couch and relax. I missed it when I wanted to know more about the swine flu on the news. I really really miss my weather channel. I am somewhat of a weather nut and using weather.com on the internet just doesn't do it for me. But honestly I freaked out when we first turned it off and now I hardly notice the loss. Walking in obedience to God is so awesome!
So the next question I always get is, "did you turn it off forever?" We do not have any certain amount of time set. It may be next month that we turn it back on and it may be never (or any amount of time in between). Mike and I are continuing to seek the Lord and let Him decide when/if to turn it back on. We do know that we are so glad all the the outside "junk" is not finding its way into our house and the minds of our children through the television. We have more family time, blogging time (that one was for me!), reading time, play time, etc. and we really don't know how we ever had the time to fit in television shows in the first place!
So we continue on seeking out the Lords will and walking in obedience to God.

That is great! We did a 40 day with no T.V. Now I really don't watch it at all unless its a movie I choose. It's back on but most all the channels are locked. My kids had a hard time at first but now it's never even an issue. Great Job keeping your family free for the lord to speak through them.
ReplyDelete